Pet Travel

Advice for travelling in and out of the UK

Thinking of travelling or emigrating with your pet? If you're going abroad, we can help you get prepared in advance and provide you with the necessary pet care and paperwork you will need.

Pet travel in the UK

Before you travel anywhere in the UK with your pet, even a day out to a new park or woodland area, you should always make sure your pet is up to date with vaccinations and parasite control. Diseases and parasites can be picked up from anywhere and it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Find out more about: Vaccinations  |  Parasite Protection  |  Dog Car Safety.

Travelling in and out of the UK

Before you consider any kind of travel with your pet outside of the UK, you should always check the D.E.F.R.A. website for up-to-date information and requirements. Their current information states, you can enter or return to the UK with your pet dog, cat or ferret providing:

  • They have been microchipped
  • They have a pet passport*, Animal Health Certificate, or third-country official veterinary certificate
  • They have been vaccinated against rabies – it will also need a blood test if you are travelling from an ‘unlisted’ country on the D.E.F.R.A. website.

Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment. We recommend all pets be up to date with standard vaccinations and flea and worming treatments before they travel. If you do not follow the rules set out on the D.E.F.R.A. website, your pet may be kept in quarantine for up to 4 months or refused entry if you have travelled by sea. You will be responsible for any charges incurred during this process. Always check your route and carrier are approved for pet travel.

*Please note: Post-BREXIT you can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. You can still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland.

Travelling to other countries

The D.E.F.R.A. website contains the rules for travelling to other countries from the UK, you should check these before making your travel plans. Pets from other countries being sold or rehomed in the UK – there are extra rules you must follow if you are planning to sell or rehome a pet within the UK from abroad. Check the D.E.F.R.A. website.

Book A Pet Travel Appointment

Always check the D.E.F.R.A. website before you make travel plans and arrange your first Pet Travel appointment with our team. You will need to apply for your Animal Health Certificate or Export Health Certificate well in advance of your travel date. Pet ownership details will be required.

Get in Touch

Choppy & Bushman

Choppy & Bushman

Choppy & Bushman emigrate to South Africa with the help of Clent Hills Vets

Emigrating with your pet

In order for your dog to permanently move to another country, you must have a signed EHC – Export Health Certificate – from your Vet, which also confirms that your dog is fit and healthy enough to travel. Every country has its own set of rules about bringing pets in, you can find up-to-date advice on the D.E.F.R.A. website.  Clent Hills Vets can carry out the appropriate tests and health checks required for your chosen country and issue the required EHC. Alun Edwards BVSc (Hons) MRCVS, can act as an agent for AHPA – Animal Health & Plant Agency – and is one of the few people in the area who can issue the Export Health Certificate needed for emigration. We also have two other members of our team who can issue these certificates. You must also meet other basic conditions, including ensuring your pet’s travel plans include an approved route and an approved carrier.

Return to Services
Send us a message